On May 19, 1943, the First Methodist Church of Pascagoula authorized our church’s establishment under the supervision of Rev. Q. C. Roberts, associate pastor, who held the first services in the Day Room of the Maritime Efficiency Apartments on Lincoln Avenue (now Ingalls Avenue). On the church property Eastlawn had its humble beginnings in the tent meetings with approximately 30 members. IN September the tent was blown down twice by high winds. When the weather was too bad to use the tents, the services were held at the Housing Authority Office on 10th Street. The same year in October the foundation for a permanent building was laid. By Spring of 1944 the sanctuary was completed and the educational building also by the end of the year. With no parsonage the sanctuary was home for the Rev. Q. C. Roberts. The first parsonage, occupied by Rev. Roy C. Clark, was located at 1301 Tyler Street.
Over the 65-year history Eastlawn has continued to build. During the pastorship of Rev. O. I. Plunkett, side wings were added to the sanctuary enlarging the seating capacity from 200 to 240; also 3 rooms were added to the Educational Building. Early in the pastorship of Rev. A. E. Dyess it became necessary to hold two morning services to accommodate the crowds. Sunday School attendance had kept pace with the church growth making it necessary to build additional space in the Educational Building. This project was put into use in 1959 adding seven Sunday School rooms, a Fellowship Hall, and a large kitchen. In 1965 another addition to the Educational Building was completed brining the available rooms to 25.
The long-time need for a larger sanctuary was becoming more critical and on October 5, 1965, at a special Quarterly Conference it was voted to begin the work. On August 7, 1966, the first Sunday services were held in the new sanctuary.
For many years there was a need of a larger fellowship hall. With the purchase of adjoining property, the fulfillment of a long time dream was made possible. The Ministry Center was dedicated at our Homecoming service in October 2004. Before the building was a year old, Hurricane Katrina flooded it with 4 feet of water on August 29, 2005. Our building in ruins became a dormitory for the volunteers who came from all over the U.S. to help our church, members, and neighbors recover from the hurricane. The back part of the parking lot occupied a food trailer from Kansas. For those in need the Kansas volunteers cooked two hot meals each day until the week of Thanksgiving. Today all of Eastlawn’s buildings have been renovated including our parsonage located at 1711 Singing River Street. Thanks to God’s blessing Eastlawn is worshipping in our updated buildings with 488 members on roll.